Here are some tips if you're thinking about building a laneway house in Vancouver:
- For a more desirable rental unit, build at least 2 bedrooms.
- If you have a large lot, consider building a single-storey home to maximize space, as design guidelines permit building only 60% of overall square footage upstairs. Stairs take up a lot of room and can be prohibitive for the elderly.
- Consider where the morning and evening light will fall when designing the space and placing windows.
- As municipalities move away from using gas to heat our homes, consider a high efficiency heat pump for heating and cooling.
- Consider stratifying the laneway home so you can potentially sell it on the market separate from the main house down the road.
- Hire a licensed, reputable, and experienced builder to bring your laneway home dreams to reality.
Don’t forget to read through relevant city regulations before you begin building. If you live in Vancouver and want to add a laneway home to your property, the City of Vancouver has compiled an easy-to-follow list of steps to take.
When your laneway home is complete, check with the city before moving in to see if you need an occupancy permit.
To learn more, discuss your plans or request a free quote, please don’t hesitate to call 604-568-9983, email us, or complete our online contact form today.