Kitsilano Multi-Generational Duplex Built with Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs) & Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
You may recall two blogs we had previously shared, one was titled "Why JDL Homes uses Nudura Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs)" and the other was titled "Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)". The home that we have built in Kitsilano using these two building methods is now completed and the home owners couldn't be happier! Below are some progress shots of thjis new build.
Here are some easy decorating ideas to bring the warmth of fall into any home.
1. Fall Arrangements & Wreaths: Combine almost any container with fall's bounty for a quick seasonal boost. A fall wreath is another great way to greet the cozy weather, try incorporating apples, acorns, or pinecones or a more rustic look. Feature your favorite fall colors to personalize the arrangements.
2. Autumn Candle Centerpieces: What better way to add multi level lighting than with candlelight! These autumn candles will be sure to add some lively colour to your tablescape!
3. Table Runners: A burlap table runner is an easy way to add texture to any tablescape! Use some ribbon and stitch the edges for a pop of color or tie the ends into tassels for a more finished look.
4. Painted Pumpkins: A great way to get crafty with the kids on the weekend! From polka dots, gold dipped, or graphic designs, there are endless possibilities to match any style of your home.
5. Faux Fur Throws: There's no better way to get cozy in the fall then with a faux fur throw! These fur throws are a great addition to any living room or bedroom. Get ready to cozy up this fall/winter!
Fall has arrived and we're setting our sights on the following trends.
1. Relaxing Retreats: Create a cozy atmosphere with a mixture of comfortable furniture and woven textiles. You can add a chair to a corner to create an instant reading nook or hang a hammock with layered blankets. Make sure to keep the room tech-free to create the ultimate sanctuary. A calm space where one can relax and unwind from daily stresses never goes out of style!
2. Velvet Furniture: Velvet feels luxurious and welcoming for fall and winter, and when combined with rough natural textures (think reclaimed wood and woven baskets) and smooth metals and ceramics, it adds visual interest and tactile coziness to a room. If you don't have the budget for velvet upholstered furniture you can get a similar look by using velvet pillows!
3. Blush Accents: We've been seeing a lot of blush in the fashion scene and it's made it's way to interiors.
Blush is the latest trend and we can see why. Soft, feminine, and pairs nicely with brass accents! If designing your whole room around this trend is too much, try incorporating the colour through artwork, throw pillows, an area rug, or even a piece of furniture to be the focal point.
4. Dark Paint & Brass Accents: This season is all about DRAMA! Not only are we seeing more and more walls with dark moody colours, but we're coming across millwork with the same affect. Brass is the new copper and it's pairs beautifully with a dark painted cabinets giving the ultimate luxe feel.
5. Statement Ceilings: Adding to the drama of dark paints mentioned previously, statement ceilings are becoming a more popular feature in many homes. Whether textured wallpaper, tin or embossed foam ceiling tile, shiplap, wooden beams, or a bold paint color, homeowners are adding texture to the often overlooked "fifth wall".
Why buy vinyl flooring?
With advances in design and performance features, vinyl is a stylish, easy-to-clean flooring choice for any home. It fits every budget and there are an array of patterns and colours to choose from. When installed correctly over the proper subflooring, vinyl is extremely resistant to dents, scratches, and stains. Below are additional pros & cons of vinyl flooring to consider.
While vinyl flooring is low maintenance and highly durable, there are also a number of drawbacks that are associated with this material. Of these, its ecological impact on the personal and world environment may be the most notable.
In a lot of instances, it is common to have hardwood flooring on the main and upper floors while vinyl plank is installed in the basement. This offsets the cost of hardwood flooring and ensures that the flooring is easily repairable if it gets damaged by tenants in the suite.
If outdoor entertaining is a priority for you and your family here are some ideas to incorporate into the design of your next home or renovation that will be sure to catch everyone's attention.
1. Bring the outdoors in: If the budget allows, installing folding doors or a moving glass wall system off of your living space is a great way to maximize your living space and increase natural light. It showcases stunning views and will make a bold statement in any home.
2. Comfortable furniture: Dedicating a seating or dining area with cozy furniture is a must for anyone who loves entertaining outdoors. Be sure to select furniture suitable for exterior applications which have exterior grade fabrics for easy maintenance and can withstand the elemental forces e.g. sun and rain.
3. Stay warm: You may want to consider incorporating a fireplace or fire pit into your outdoor design. There are also some instances where recessed or ceiling mounted infrared gas soffit heaters are installed for a clean look. For an extra level of comfort, be sure to have blankets or throws handy so the party can go on throughout the night!
4. Lush landscaping, water features, & lighting: Incorporate some nice landscaping or a water feature to bring a nice tranquil vibe to your outdoor space. Be sure to account for exterior lighting that will give you mutli-level lighting which provides a nice backdrop for any get together.
5. Clear unobstructed views: If your home has spectacular views consider having frameless glass railings for optimal unobstructed views.
6. Outdoor Kitchen: If you like to cook consider having an outdoor kitchen equipped with a BBQ and sink. It's true what they say, most parties often end up in the kitchen! It's another great place where people can gather and socialize.
For more ideas contact us to discuss your next project, we'd love to see how we can make your dreams a reality!
JDL Homes has been diligently working on getting our portfolio updated with our latest completed projects! Below are three projects that we had recently photographed by John Bentley.
The downtown Vancouver sub-penthouse project was for a repeat client of JDL Homes. It features a modern fully renovated kitchen with custom veneer matched walnut cabinets, all new appliances and plumbing fixtures, a glass backsplash, and under-counter programmable LED strip lighting. We also renovated the bathroom, which features two fog-less shave mirrors, a new vanity, and all new plumbing fixtures!
The Langley estate equestrian barn was a new build by JDL Homes. You may remember the framing photos from our previous blog here. We finally got around to photographing this competed project. It features gorgeous over-height barn doors and a fun colour scheme!
The Capilano Highlands Craftsman is a new build project designed and built by JDL Homes. Completed in late 2016 this home boasts beautiful North Vancouver views through their windows. It features all the amenities for a growing family in a busy household. The neat thing about this home is all the bedrooms are on the main floor while the main living areas are on the 2nd floor of the home.
Stay tuned for more recently completed project updates! We're constantly working to have our work updated on all of our social media platforms!
Don't hesitate to contact us today to discuss your next project and it could be featured on our website & blog! We'd love to work with you on projects of all sizes and design styles!
As we draw closer to the warmer weather of spring and summer you'll notice a lot more people biking as their main form of transportation. Here are some creative ways at different price points to store/display your bikes no matter the size of space you're working with!
Look Up!: Ceiling mounted bike hooks, bike pulleys, or bike lifts can be utilized in a create way like under a set of stairs or on your ceiling (wood beam or wood backing is recommended to provide the best support for the screws), which optimizes storage space! Bike hooks can be purchased at your local hardware stores and come in a few different shapes and colours. While inexpensive they're not the most aesthetically pleasing but are super practical and gets the job done! Bike Lifts and pulleys costs a bit more but are a great way to display your bike and save precious floor space in small living areas!
Go Vertical: Suspend your bike vertically on your wall with wall mounted brackets like the Delta Cycle Leonardo Bike Hook or the Clug Bike Clips. They're fairly inexpensive and make great use for tight spaces, making your bike a nice feature in your home!
Space Saving: Look for wall mounted bike racks that can be folded up when not in use to maximize space, like the Mikili Slit shown above. These racks are great for minimalist spaces, that tuck away. Really gives new meaning to the saying "out of sight, out of mind"!
Make It Art: Incorporate the location of your bike so it acts like a piece of art on the wall. Wall mounted brackets like Karl Mikael Ling's Pincher Bike Hanger or the Make Bike Rack will do the trick. Doing this will evoke a sense of fun, and whimsy to any home!
Dual Purpose/Furniture: Definitely at the higher priced spectrum, a wall mounted rack can be utilized as additional storage space, take the Mikili Kappo and Tamasin Osher Design's Pedal Pod for instance. It cleverly creates shelf space for your helmet, books, & accessories! We also love the original "Bike Shelf" by Mission Bike Company. While pricier, we feel it beautifully incorporates great design & function.
Jessica Colaluca from Design Seed has done it yet again! As we look for design inspiration, nothing is as inspiring as nature itself! This colour palette features dark shades representing the mysterious deep sea to the crashing currents forming seafoam coloured waves on its surface.
If you're thinking of renovating this would make a perfect choice for any room in your home!
As a multi-functional space, the kitchen is often the setting for innovative design ideas. What people choose to do with their kitchens may come as a surprise and a delight. Here are a few ideas to consider.
1. Entertaining: If you are someone who enjoys cooking and entertaining you may want to consider including an island in your kitchen design. It is an excellent area for friends and family to gather, it also gives you more storage, counter space, and potential seating areas. Working with an interior designer will ensure the best use of space and flow of traffic, while meeting building code requirements. You may also want to consider purchasing larger professional grade appliances and have your designer select plumbing fixtures that pair with the overall look of your home to accommodate the frequent dinner parties you'll be hosting!
2. Bring the outdoors in: If the budget allows, installing folding doors or a moving glass wall system off of your kitchen is a great way to maximize your living space and increase natural light. It showcases stunning views and will make a bold statement in any home.
3. Work Spaces: The kitchen is a great place to have a built-in desk. It creates a perfect landing area for a busy family's planning needs where the home phone and laptop can be located with a charging station. It can also serve as a central location for mail or the kids to do homework while dinner is prepared.
4. Pet Stations: Dedicating a space in the kitchen for your pet is a great way to maximize the use of your space and to keep clutter at bay. The island is a perfect area to house the family pet's food and water bowl. In some instances a pet's bed can also be incorporated into the design.
5. Beverage/Coffee Bar: They can be situated under a flight of stairs to utilize the typically wasted space. Including a bar sink and mini fridge, will surely meet all your entertaining needs!
JDL Homes Vancouver is an award winning boutique design build firm, we'd love to discuss how we can help you achieve your dream kitchen. From renovations, restorations, or new builds, we'd love to help! Contact us today for more information or click here for an additional helpful article. We'd love to hear from you!
We are in love with Benjamin Moore's 2017 colour of the year Shadow 2117-30.
Get inspired & view the remaining Benjamin Moore colour palettes, here.
Tell us which ones are your favorites!
Keep apprised of our projects, home renovation tips and company updates.